Friday, August 30, 2013

A Needed Prayer

Proverbs 30:7-9 NASB
Two things I asked of You, Do not refuse me before I die: [8] Keep deception and lies far from me, Give me neither poverty nor riches; Feed me with the food that is my portion, [9] That I not be full and deny You and say, "Who is the LORD?" Or that I not be in want and steal, And profane the name of my God.

This is a prayer for contentment and consistency.  It is a prayer we would be well advised to commit to memory and pray with great regularity.

We are so very weak and so very bombarded with temptations that it is hard to neither deceive not seek riches.  We are measured today by what we have (or don't have) and it is impossible to avoid being affected by it.  We need that balance - that gracious balance this prayer seeks.

You and I know this struggle.  We faces many many times each day.  We want to be like everyone else and unfortunately so do many of our fellow believers.  But we are unique individuals in so many ways and we are a unique people as well.  Our ways must not be "THEIR" ways.  What we seek must be above and beyond what they seek.

Trusting God to answer a prayer such as this should not be hard.  But cooperating with His providential answers can be.  It is indeed a battle - a moment by moment battle.  He has won the war but we must clear the fields and hills of the insurgent enemy until the final victory is revealed.

I encourage you to memorize this prayer and to pray it often - especially in ties of trial and in times of temptation.  Let the assurance of His goodness and willingness to answer this prayer comfort and calm you.

There is lies the lesson.
M

No comments:

Post a Comment