Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Finger Thinking: "ity" vs "ism

My thoughts have been draw to the concepts of "individuality" and "Individualism."  There is a difference.

In the Body of Christ there is a place - indeed a need - for individuality.  There is, however, no place for individualism.  And there really is a difference.

Individualism is all about me.  My thoughts, my wants, my ideas, my perspective, etc.  It is a self focused, self-promoting attitude which excludes much if not all outside influence unless it benefits me.  The ultimate example I have seen is when I was discussing a biblical concept/teaching with an individual who responded, "I don;t care what the Bible says, I believe X."  "X" suited them, fit them and their ism would not allow them to look beyond their own comfort zone.

Individuality however is the realization that God has created us utterly unique and so we will have unique perspectives, gifts, callings, needs, wants, etc.  But, in Christ, we surrender that ity to him for His molding, refining and use.  But I am still I in submission to and under the influence of Christ.  My "me" is not my own but rather His.

This does not mean I become a clone but rather a "mimic."
Paul writes:

1 Corinthians 11:1 NASB
Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ.

Paul is not calling us to some, "monkey see monkey do," lifestyle.  The word "be" in the verse carries the implication of new birth, new creation - so something must happen before we can hope to imitate Paul - as he does Christ.  This is an inner change that creates the opportunity and provides the power for all the necessary change.

But what about any "outer" change.  Yes, there will be some - there will have to be - but Christ does not want clones rather He call individuals, individually to serve Him as their sanctified unique selves.  

What does that look like?

Jesus said:

Mark 7:21 NASB
"For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed the evil thoughts, fornications, thefts, murders, adulteries,

Sin comes from the unredeemed heart.

From the redeemed heart we find:
Galatians 5:22-24 NASB
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, [23] gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. [24] Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Here's the key.  Individualism will not suffer the "flesh" to to killed.  Individuality will submit all to the sovereign authority of God.

Does that affect our "appearance?"  yes and no.  Whatever of our old self reflects, promoted, encourages or tolerates sin must be changed so that the fruit of the Spirit is on display.

Philippians 4:8-9 NASB
Paul teaches us:
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. [9] The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

So how we dress, where we go, what we do and even why we do will all change - but I am still me - certainly I am a "new" me and i am His "me" but my "me" will, if I am truly His, change.  And this change will be both intentional and incidental.  The Holy Spirit will work in me to change me but I must take up His yoke and change things as I find them in need of change.

"Ism" is rebellion - and a true believer surrenders and ceases to rebel.  "Ity" is changed, it is sanctified immediately and over time to conform to His likeness.

Ahh but here we have to think and PRAY.  

Paul writes:
Ephesians 4:20-24 NASB
But you did not learn Christ in this way, [21] if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught in Him, just as truth is in Jesus, [22] that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, [23] and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, [24] and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth.

Note please he refers to our "former manner of life."  But remember that this former "manner" is more than just overt identifiable sin.  It is also a desire to be accepted by - even embraces and applauded by the world instead of God.  It is a manner of life that it "ism" and an abuse of "ity."  

In the early days of the church it was not uncommon for an individual, at conversion, to take a "Christian" name.  Names were important and a change of name indicated a change of person - in the case of the faith, a change in nature, purpose and living.  But is was not a change in individuality - excepting that "ity" was now His to mold and use.

Consider:

Romans 8:29 NASB
For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren;

Romans 12:2 NASB
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that  is good and acceptable and perfect.

Philippians 3:10 NASB
that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death;

1 Peter 1:14-15 NASB
As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, [15] but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior;

Conform in Rom. 12:2 is similar to the others but it is a conforming we initiate and encourage and accept.  It is in opposition to the "transform" in the same verse which Ilike to call a participatory yielding to the work of God in us -- it's all about who our God or god is.

In Genesis 35, when Jacob buries the family idols he is making a powerful statement>  He is actively demonstrating his willingness to be transformed - and then God changes his name.

What family or personal idols do we need to bury?   Fashion, hobbies, cars, associations, things?  We can not be transformed (at least not easily and expeditiously) if we cling to the idols of our past.  This is a major change that happens when on goes from "ism" to Christ as an "ity," (an individual - uniquely made - uniquely called and uniquely redeemed).

God cares about two things ( among many more) -- He cares about sin and He cares about holiness.  He calls us out of sin and towards holiness.  One day we will be with Him and our "holiness" will be complete.  Until then we must wrestle with sin - the world, the flesh and the devil - and unfortunately, sometimes, our fellow believers who have their ideas and agenda - which may or may not be God's agenda for me - or - you.

Father,
I gotta be "me" - I gotta be YOUR "me" but to be anything other than Your me would be a lie.  Teach me to be Your me.  






No comments:

Post a Comment