Thursday, May 2, 2013

Ism vs Ity 002 050213

We looked at individualism and individuality yesterday but it was rather brief.  The question I would address today is what does "ity" look like in our daily walk with Him?  

Consider:

Galatians 2:20 NASB
"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

Who is this "I," this "me."  Well, it's two yous.  Huh?

The "I"who no longer lives is this "I."
Romans 6:6 NASB
knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin;

Ephesians 2:12 NASB
 [12] remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.

Romans 5:10a NASB
For if while we were enemies . . . .

This is the "I" Paul writes of - but there is another "I" - a strange "I," and "I" never seen in the world.

This "I" is a redeemed I, a sanctified I a glorified I.  This I is an I who, through the blood offered by our High Priest is acceptable bound for utter holiness and righteousness when His reign is in hindered.

Ahhh but even here we see that the old "I" still likes to play games.

Romans 7:14-21 NASB
For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin. [15] For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. [16] But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good. [17] So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. [18] For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. [19] For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. [20] But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. [21] I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good.

Oh the battle we are in.  We're in what I would call - OK - I can't say that but it's a sandwich that you wouldn't eat.  We are - "I" am caught between the world and the devil and there is still a remnant of that crucified "I" (the flesh) that is too often affected by the world and the devil.  It is a "principle" still living in me that though I have been washed clean and have the Spirit to guide and strengthen me I still have that "flesh" thing and the principle - evil is present in me (until he comes).

It is indisputably true that:

2 Corinthians 5:17 NASB
Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.

This "new"-is a little weird.  It is a "new" in kind as opposed to a "new" in time.  It's not a "new" dress or car - those are things that are "new" in time.  The "new" in kind is something never seen in all of creation before - that is, a redeemed human being.  We are the only ones who have ever been and the only ones that will ever be.  We, the redeemed, are unique, individual creatures - called, redeemed, transformed and ultimately utterly transfifured by the gracious work of Christ - for us, to us and in us.

So, I am not the pre-Jesus "I."  I am a utterly new I, an I never seen before.  Hence again, this is why in the traditions we find in history it was not uncommon for a new believer to take a "christian" name to indicate to one and all that they were a "new" creature.

So what's my point?  Simply that our redeemed individuality (ity) now battles our old individualism (ism).  And our "ism" gets a whole lot of help from the world and the devil.

Not that our wills are free from the bondage to sin we can choose.  Our willingness to choose must be constant and strong.  The choice is always between Him and not Him, sin and not sin, holiness and evil.  But as long as our "ity" does not tarnish or mar His glory and righteousness we are free to express our "ity" for His glory.

Your "ism" must die - your "ity" must grow in righteousness and obedience but it can still be "ity."

Celebrate and give thanks for your redeemed "ity," but guard it well.  Satan and the world work very hard to fool us into thinking our choice of "ity" expression is OK -- well being as we are all "rookies" in Jesus we have to be very very careful -  We have to be willing to challenge our "ity" choices to an agonizing extent.  Is it sin - like pride or rebellion?  Is it godly pride and rebellion against sin or are we just fooling ourselves so we can"do our own thing?"

Jesus my well approve of our "thing" but just because we're His forever does not mean we have the knowledge and maturity we need in the moment.  Examining the Word, seeking godly counsel and PRAYER are critical.

The write Proust wrote, "No man is a mystery, except to himself."  Solve - always be solving the mystery that is you - your "ity."  We are indeed free in Christ but we miss the "in Christ" part.  He - His Word - determines the boundaries and expectations of that freedom.

Prayer, the Word and godly associations and counsel are essential for every one of us in expressing our "ity," in living our new freedom.  

Again,

"We just have to follow THE SHEPHERD!"



1 comment:

  1. Wow, very clearly explained, Michael. I found this post to be very helpful. Appreciate your blogging!

    ReplyDelete