Friday, April 26, 2013

A Hard Parting

Idolatry is a big part of what's wrong with the Church today.  Not just collectively but individually we allow idols to creep into our lives and steal the love and devotions that rightly belongs to God.

But not every affection for something or someone other than God is idolatry.

I grew up in, well, a type of hell.  Alone is the best word to describe it Even though I had a mother and father and sister I none-the-less grew up alone.

Then when I was 14 and had proven I would indeed work hard to learn t play the guitar I was able to acquire "Guinivere."   She is a 1965, Gibson J-45 and from the moment I played her I knew she was special.

For over 40 years she has been a blessing from God.  Whenever my soul could not make what I felt come to my lips it sent it to my fingers.  Whenever my heart broke or soared my fingers wept and/or celebrated.  She was a wonderful gift from Him that allowed me to "speak" without speaking.

Just wood and metal but a tool God graciously gave me to through which I could opennenly and freely celebrate and mourn.  A gift through which I poured out my heart, called others to worship and told His story as well as my own.  Just a piece of wood and simply a tool but no less a gracious blessing and a sign of God's care and love for me.

Well, I have to let her go.  Times are tough, she's a classic and needs must be met.  It's hard to hold back the tears and sobs as I write and it's just little embarrassing.  But though she was just wood and metal she was always there and always understood.  She, for all her inanimateness was my friend, my dear friend.

No, she wasn't (isn't) some idol I have to expel but a dear and valuable friend with whom I have to part.  Yeah, my heart is breaking and I don't know if I'll be able to keep it together when JD comes to get her.

Freud is said to have said that, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."  Well, sometimes in our lives a place person, even even thing is just that except it was where or through or how God touched us and healed us and blessed us and, well some of you will understand.

So I want you to think of what in your life God used and is using.  Those pesky secondary things and people He touches us with and through.  Friends and family they are blessing we cherish not idols we worship - don't get them confused.  Celebrate the blessing and don't be ashamed to mourn their loss.

God bless and comfort us all when we part with them.

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment