Friday, April 5, 2013

Walking through Psalm 34 verse 2


Psalm 34:2 ESV
My soul makes its boast in the LORD; let the humble hear and be glad.

And what else can my soul boast in?  All I may have boasted in has been stripped away.  That in which I placed too much confidence has betrayed me and cast me down.

God and God alone is faithful - the idols that capture us and give us false comfort fall over and fail.  We must boast in Him and in Him only.  

This too is hard when we are cast down and in trials and yet it is all we can boast in for He alone is eternally faithful.  

"Let the humble hear it and be glad!". 

We may boast in Him and we should consider the blessing such boasting can be to the humble.

Oh, look and see what the Lord has done - what the Lord has kept from you.  He is always at work for His children.  And though the suffering we endure be mighty, He is mighty to save - and is not our salvation the greatest of blessings?

But who are these "humble" ones?

Perhaps they are those who are strong in the Lord.  It may be they are those who are weak.  I think it must be both.  None of us can be blessed too much especially by His praise.  We are encouraged and strengthened.  We have our hope renewed.  We are caught up in those. Blessings and praises.

But, it can be hard.  When we are despairing we can have a sense of "but not me," that dampens our praise.  This comes from our flesh and our enemy!  It certainly does not come from Him.  We must pray to have whatever hinders us removed and echo those praises as best we can.  He is able and willing to do this for His children.

"Humble?". How are we to define this?  We can get into all kinds of discussions but I think that the humble are those who are aware and appreciative of His sovereignty regardless of there feelings in their circumstances.  They are those - and it is hard - who say, "not my will but Thine."

For many that is frightening.  They are cast down and dismayed and the flesh demands its solutions, its way.  Oh what a battle that is and we can not afford to dismiss it or minimize it.  It is very real - it is not uncommon.  But even that is His fight - in and for us.

Father, I can not say, "not mine but Thy will be done," without Your blessing of strength and courage.  As it was for our Lord, it is hard for e as well.  Take from me any fear or mistrust that my flesh so relishes and give me Your peace and comfort.  Let me - no enable me to - "boast in You," regardless of my circumstances.  I want to, I need to - enable me oh Lord - for Your name's sake.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment