Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Walking through Psalm 34


Psalm 34:1 ESV
I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth.

David wrote this after the Lord delivered him from one enemy while still being pursued by another.  It wasn't the end of his troubles and yet he accepted the blessing as the trial continued.

Verse 1
Though made at the time of his deliverance this is not a commitment new to David.  But he makes it here - again - a reaffirmation - a standing commitment a purpose.

This Psalm is not just for tough times.  But we tend to be drawn to it more so then than when we feel at ease and comfortable.  That's just us.  We take a lot for granted when we are not in distress - or at least I have learned I did.

But I have been convicted that this is a Psalm we should read daily - among others.  It presents us with evidence and assurance but it also admonishes us to draw close and stay close to Him.

This first verse is a tough one when we are despairing and yet even so we have cause to bless and praise Him.  Even though it might be a really fight - we need to do it - it is the foundation upon which all our prayers are built.  The best of starting places.

Consider its similarity to, "hallowed be Thy name.". There is no difference.  Jesus teaches us that.

Yes, it may be hard to do and it may taste like ashes in one's mouth but it is true that regardless of where we are or how we are He is oh so worthy of our praise.

Father,
When I am unable - or struggling - please - please put Your praises in my mind and heart and on my lips.  Make me able Lord to reach up out of my struggle and pain to bless  and praise You.
Make me see You worthiness and sense Your pleasure.  Do not let my raging turmoil silence my praise.  Do not let my suffering silence my blessing of You.
Help Thou my little faith and in my pain let me praise You for You are worthy to be praised - always - in everything.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment