Saturday, June 8, 2013

Phil. 4 vs 8 and 9 050813

Php 4:8-9  Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.  (9)  The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
When was the last time you really followed Paul's admonition in this passage?
Note, Paul admonishes us to "dwell" (think/reason) and to "do."  
The object of our thought and action is the same thing, the Gospel in all its glorious detail.  Now we will assume that the "Gospel" is simply the good news about Jesus and indeed that is true.  But as I consider the nature of the culture to who He wrote and especially the religious culture I am forced to consider that the "Gospel" Paul brought was much wider and deeper than we think.
Simply put, Paul's Gospel to the Gentiles had to begin with a One True God.  These pagans to whom he preached and whom he taught had family gods, city gods, gods of certain activities.  The good news to them had to include the One and Only God.  
It also had to include, well, thinking.  The culture prided itself on its wisdom.  Debates between differring schools of philosophy were common entertainment.  Wisdom (man's wisdom) was prized and celebrated and honored.  The Gospel Paul preached had to communicate to a thinking people.
The impact of this broad and deep Gospel was such that in the Roman empire believers were not only seen as fools but were often charged with atheism because they believed in the One true God.  
The "good news" had to start with One God, sovereign creator, sustainer, Lord and Judge.  If this didn't come up somewhere then the good news of Jesus would not have made a lot of sense.  From the worship of gods who promised sex, drugs and power the people had to be called to the God who promised eternal life while demanding holiness and humility.  It is no wonder believers where accused of turning the world upside down.
But my point is this.  We are admonished if not commanded to "dwell" on the truth in all its glorious depth and breadth.  To "dwell" means that we think, we reason, we consider - intentionally and consistently.  What we are called to "dwell" upon is the whole of our faith for it meets the criteria Paul lays out so far above anything else that is it a sad and sorry thing to "dwell" on anything else.
Paul is not calling us to "positive thinking."  He is calling us to biblical, sound theological and practical applied thinking.  From the Trinity to Tent-making, the whole content of the Word is to be our subject matter.  From the joyously simple to the head-smacking hard - we are to dwell on the whole counsel of God.
But we don't.  Do we?  When is the last time you (or I) really dug into the Word concerning the whole concept of worship?  When was the last time we gave any real thought to the roll of the members of the Trinity in the Covenant of Redemption.  Do we even know what the Covenant of Redemption is?  If I was a betting man, I'd bet most of us don't.
If I am any kind of theologian it would be a pastoral or practical one.  But I've had to realize that even though I know a lot and comprehend a lot it was not enough.  Oh I don't do damage (I hope) but I see how I have not done all the good I could have because I limited that which I "dwelt" on to the pastoral and practical.  I've learned that having a "boots on the ground" understanding of the faith is good and useful to Him but that not having a view from 30,000 feet limits me greatly in my calling.
I'm fortunate to have a pastor who challenges me to soar to heights of "dwelling" that I haven't considered.  In taking those flights I have made connections in my knowledge and understanding that are humbling and exciting.  Example: discovering that what most of us assume is worship isn't necessarily true worship; worship that honors and glorifies the father and hence has a direct influence in and on all of my life, was a real kick in the head - a good one - but a kick all the same.
Translate that word "dwell" as "think," or "reason" and the whole ball game changes.  In terms of worship, what does it really mean to worship in spirit and truth?  Come on, give me a clear functional definition.  Can you?  I kind of can but I've learned that my practical understanding falls short - not good - but grace covers me and allows me to "think" and grow.
In the second verse Paul tells us to "practice" what he taught.  And "practice" is a good way to put it.  We practice our faith until we are with Him.  Practice is intended to provide the opportunity for perfection and we are called to be perfect (complete) as well as holy.  Practice means we haven't arrived.  It means our strengths need honing and our weaknesses need strength and this all demands that we think and think more deeply and broadly about what we know and that we seek to discover what we do not know.
To make a clear statement on both verses I'll steal a quote from Dr. David Smith:
"The Lord is personally present with his servants providing them peace as they are intellectually engaged with and practically obedient to his spoken and written word of truth."
As I said, I'm blessed with a Pastor who challenges me and sometimes helps me painfully see where there are gaps in my Gospel, where I am ignorant and where I have not been thinking.  He bemoans the anti-intellectual (read this as anti-thinking) attitude the church has taken today - indeed the culture has taken today.  Me, I just bemoan stupid as a choice.  I bemoan my own and that of my fellow believers.
We've all heard the old saw, "they know just enough to be dangerous."  That's not a bad picture of the folks in the pews (and some pulpits).  We are all ignorant and unfortunately to some degree that ignorance is a choice.  It is indeed a blessing to read concerning our High priest:
Heb 5:2  he can deal gently with the ignorant and misguided, since he himself also is beset with weakness;
I am a well-educated and trained ingnoramous and will, to some degree, always be one.  But at least now I know and I know the cure - to dwell - think - reason concerning the things of God, the Son and the Holy Spirit.  To put more time and energy into that 30,000 foot flight than I have so that I may practice well and worthy of the captain of the team I am one and be more useful to Him as He works His game plan in time and eternity.
Bunny trail?
James teaches us that faith without word is dead.  But works without faith are dead as well.  "Faith" is both our trust in the Lord and the content of that trust.  When we fail to dwell upon His whole word and to develop or gain a increasingly better grasp of His whole counsel our works are not what they could be.  Certainly we all want to show ourselves to be workmen who need not be ashamed for we rightly divide the Word of God.
Think about and do something!

No comments:

Post a Comment