Thursday, June 13, 2013

We would see Jesus 061013

Joh 12:20-21  Now among those who went up to worship at the feast were some Greeks.  (21)  So these came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and asked him, 
"Sir, we wish to see Jesus."

I can remember my homiletics professor telling us that these words were on a small plaque on his pulpit.  Every time he rose to preach he read them and was reminded that if he did nothing else he had to show those in the pews Jesus.  "Jesus," in all that term means had to be shown to believer and unbeliever alike.  If they did not see Jesus, he believed he had failed in his calling.

He would tell us, "Gentlemen, I do not care where you begin your sermon but always - always end at the cross of Christ for that is where the power and hope lies.  Ending anywhere else is to mislead your hearers."

The cross, His final redemptive act must be central to our lives.  You may wear a cross but do you ever think about that cross?  Do you return to the cross daily in gratitude and humility seeking that conviction that was the catalyst for your first love?  Do you take all your sin back to the cross again and again so that you may be assured again and again that you're sins are paid in full and that, "it is finished!"
Paul makes the centrality of the cross plain.  In the midst of all the issues he addressed at the Church at Corinth he made it plain:

1Co 2:2  For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.

Paul knew the Gospel must be preached to un-believers and believers alike.  He know the glorious good news of Christ's atoning sacrifice was indeed the power of God for salvation.  I find that all too easy to assume and not make a central issue in my prayers, conversation and living.  It is well said:

Beneath the cross of Jesus I fain would take my stand, 
the shadow of a mighty rock within a weary land; 
a home within the wilderness, a rest upon the way, 
from the burning of the noontide heat,  and the burden of the day. 
Upon that cross of Jesus mine eye at times can see 
the very dying form of One who suffered there for me; 
and from my stricken heart with tears two wonders I confess: 
the wonders of redeeming love and my unworthiness. 
I take, O cross, thy shadow for my abiding place; 
I ask no other sunshine than the sunshine of his face; 
content to let the world go by, to know no gain nor loss, 
my sinful self my only shame, my glory all the cross.

This is an everyday, every moment cross-awareness.  A consistent celebration of humility and gratitude and yet we struggle to keep it in the front of our minds.  We get diverted by the slings and arrows of our daily life and hence the greatest source of our hope and confidence remains on the fringes of our consciousness.

So, we struggle more and harder than we need to.  We bounce up and down, are tossed to and fro in our assurance and peace.  The cross, thought horrible was the most peaceful - peacemaking - place in all of history.  "It is finished," the greatest declaration.  The foot of the cross, the safest place.

Would you see Jesus?  Then see Him there.  Touch His suffering, see His love, know His graciousness.  The cross is the only place to begin and to end.  It is indeed the best abiding place as we face the trials of this life.  

Certainly we can see Jesus through out the Gospels.  We see Him healing and feeding.  We hear Him teaching, admonishing, confronting and correcting.  All this is good and useful but it is at the cross that His life and ministry made it's meaning and purpose clear.  When He surrendered His life for us He made it available to us.  Can we sideline the cross as merely a symbol, a decal, a lapel pin or a necklace?  No, we can not.

If you would see Jesus - and you should so desire - then see him first and foremost on the cross. See Him suffering for us and taking upon Himself our punishment.  Realize that what He experienced simply demonstrated - in ways we can understand - what we were to expect from God were it not for the cross.

Would you see Jesus - then see Him as the Suffering Servant, the Rejected Redeemed, our Master who freely gave up His life at the hands of evil men for our salvation.  See Jesus there and pray to be His servant in the sacrificial and submissive way He was for us.

Think long and hard and prayerfully about:

Gal 2:20  I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment