Saturday, January 26, 2013

Flee - run away! 012313


For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs. But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness.   (1Ti 6:10-11)



Two things really stood out for me in these verses.  "craving" and "wandered away from the faith."

On the subject of "cravings" or literally "stretching out."  I certainly understand the error of this and it's subtlety.  It is not hard for any of us to find ourselves so dissatisfied with both what we have and what we don't have that we go beyond God's provision or mis-handle God's provisions so that we are indeed "stretched out."

But don't make the mistake of thinking simply in terms of being financially stretched out.  More relationships - especially marriages - suffer greatly from financial "stretching."  but it really isn't the money (I am learning) that is the problem.  It is the fear and guilt of being on thin financial ice.  It is also the conviction of the Holy Spirit working in our hearts and minds and our resistance to it.

Our flesh not only indulges itself in all the recriminations and accusations the unbeliever experiences but it resists the promptings and conviction of the Holy Spirit.  For the young or weak believer all these "feelings" can get mixed together and seem to be one.  But they are not.  We need to take the biblical view that sin is sin and that God has blessed us with the Spirit that we might recognize it and repent.  

This can result in that "wandering away from the faith."  Huh?  Well, when we are in distress and we are sensing a need to be rescued from it our flesh wants us to turn to things of this world in order to solve the problem.  But the critical factor is that the flesh wants us to do this instead of turning to God and seeking His correction and solution.

"Wandering away from the faith," may refer more to wandering away from trusting God than in refers to some theological or doctrinal error (however - this is also very possible).

I have had to simply recognize that the provision I have mis-used came from God and that the provision I need must come from Him as well.  Certainly He can and will use secondary sources to bring that provision but we have to fight the fight of keeping our eyes on Him.

God does not scheme and His people need to avoid scheming as well.  If I had a nickle for every "scheme" I've come up with in our current situation - well, I think I'd be out of this situation.  But the cost of doing it according to the world, the flesh and the devil is much to high (trust me, I know).  I have to really "keep my eyes and ears on Him," sometimes by force.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Puritans.  I love their insight and sensitivity but I struggle with their faithful acceptance of the fact that "here" isn't any kind of priority.  What I mean is that they had such a wonderful hope of heaven that they really did count everything as "dung" compared to the riches of God's grace.  

I consistently read their admonitions to trivialize earthly needs (in relation to heavenly provision) and I am dumb-struck - and not a little ashamed of myself.  They lived in a cycle of earthly need.  They were no strangers to suddenly suffering the loss of their "livings" not to mention their incarcerations.  And yet they were satisfied that God's will was perfect regardless of the earthly consequences.

That's the part I "hate," because it reveals to me my lack of strength and maturity in the Way.  It shows me my weakness and self-centeredness.  It shows me my sin.  Though this is truly a blessing, it hurts deeply and my flesh hates it (another sign of the battle we must fight).

But Paul admonishes us to "flee" from all of this.  If we're not in it we must watch and pray that we might be warned and flee.  If we're in it we must trust and pray and flee from within it.

We are to, "Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness."  as well as:


Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 
(1Ti 6:12)

This is tough to do when the bill collectors are calling or unexpected needs arise.  This is difficult as we struggle to pretend to our brothers and sisters that all is well (not a good thing).  This is difficult when we live in a culture where we are told we have to "succeed" according to the standards and ways of the world, flesh and devil.

But we must pursue these things regardless of where they lead us here in this temporary residence.  We must flee from this evil but we must flee to Him.  Just running away from the problem does not sever the tie.  We must go to the only one who can free us from all the fleshly pain and sorrow even i it is through godly pain and sorrow.

I'm learning - quite late - a lesson I have not studied and absorbed.  It is hard and it is good.

We, Patti and i, are praying for all of you who are where we are and we pray that you will - as we are striving to - break away from the world, the flesh and the devil and flee to Him more faithfully and more whole-heartedly.



No comments:

Post a Comment