Saturday, February 9, 2013

Psalm 6:6


I am weary with my sighing; Every night I make my bed swim, I dissolve my couch with my tears. (Psa 6:6)

Everyone who knows what this is like, stand up!

Now the Psalm goes on to express great confidence in God and His mercy and justice so we're not going to have a pity party.

But - this sighing and tears should not be uncommon in the life of the believer.  We should be sighing and shedding teasr not only for our sins and our needs but for all those who do not have the comfort of knowing God and being His.

Oh, the verse struck me because of our hard times right now but God was gracious enough to not allow me to get stuck on me.  I not only thought of all the redeemed who are suffering affliction and need but of the countless millions who live (or lived) in the utter darkness and hopelessness of being godless and rebellious.

Our problems seem as nothing compared to the problems the un-redeemed live with and will face.  Imagine being in whatever situation you find yourself in and NOT having a loving and caring Father.  Imagine believing that you're here and you die with no purpose or reason.  Worse still (for me at least) imagine living believing that you were at the mercy - the utter mercy of fate (or whatever capricious entity you want).

Oh, I still weep for us and our affliction and need but I weep for others now as well.  Why?  Well - Jesus did.  the shortest verse in the Bible reads:


Jesus wept.   (Joh 11:35)

He wept even though He knewHhe was about to resurrect Lazarus. Why did He weep?  Well, we'll probably have to ask Him later.  But, He loved and He loved not just as the Son of God, the Redeemer but He loved as Jesus the teacher from Galilee - the guy.

Perhaps the thing I am learning the most recently is about the humanity of my Lord.  The more I see it the more amazed and humbled and comforted I am.  His Lordship and Savior-hood are indeed amazing - but to think that He was like you and I and He would weep for a friend - and for many many others - makes it OK for me to weep.

But, as I said - I have had to broaden the subject of my tears in His honor, for His glory and because He did.

Father let me weep but let me not simply weep for myself and my loved ones!  Let me weep for the brothers and sisters who struggle with every thing from the common difficulties here to the catastrophic difficulties here.  When I weep for me, open the arms of my heart to take in Your body and the lost as well.  Let my heart break yet make my soul sing in Your grace for Your creation.
Amen









No comments:

Post a Comment