Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Psalm 5 :11

Psalm 5:11 ESV

But let all who take refuge in You rejoice; let them ever sing for joy,and spread Your protection over them, that those who love Your name may exult in You.

Yes !!!!!!

Remember, this is a prayer (also an admonition).  This is a prayer we need to be praying for those we know who are in distress and even for those we don't know.  We all need to be lifting up the Body - often.

Joy and exultation can be hard for folks who are suffering - especially believers ;-}.
We know God is working, we know He has a purpose for all we experience and yet we still struggle to rejoice and exult.  

But maybe, as many of the Puritan writers suggest, we need to focus on our redemption more and our circumstances less.

Oh, I know that's hard to do and the distraction and anxiety of our worldly needs make it almost seem mean.  But I have to remember that redemption is the whole point of my relationship with Him.  It is the "bottom line."

We so want to be comfortable and healthy and solvent.  There's nothing inherently wrong with this unless it (as it does) intrudes upon and diverts us from His great salvation.  

I often remember Job's wanting to have never been born because of his afflictions.  I am very grateful that God included that in the book.  I draw from it a certain comfort and hope in that when I feel that way I know that God understands and appreciates my feeling that way.  

The Puritan writers consistently point out that the things of this earth are meaningless and a distraction.  But they also understand how difficulties and afflictions get our attention and hold it.  As I said the other day, "When I hit my thumb with a hammer it has my undivided attention!"

Somehow we need to call upon Him to give us the focus and discipline we need to rejoice and exult in our pain - I don't think we'll work it up on our own.  Nor do I think kindly meant platitudes are any help.

I spoke a very dear brother today and, well, he  "got" me.  He was sharing his stuggles (and he certainly has some) and he shared how he has found intercessory prayer to be a real means of joy and peace.  He "gets out of himself" and his circumstances and he even shared that he is assured of his redemption through calling out to God for others.

I realized that this is so true.  Although Paul was upheld by the hand of God I also think that he was joyful and could exult in his trials because he knew he was serving others (even us) in remaining faithful.  He prayed and prayed a lot for all the believers he knew, knew about or simply assumed would come in time.

Father, make me aware that my needs are in your keeping and care so I may pray for others.    Empower me to "get out of myself" and my needs and anxiety so I may bring my brothers and sisters before Your throne.  

Keep me from comparing needs and answers so I may humbly and heart-fully lift up OTHERS more than myself.   My pain is my pain but I have entrusted it all to you and others are bringing all of me before You.  Please make Your Spirit bold in and to me to get my eyes off of "me" and on to "them."

Make me keep in mind that my needs and pain are in Your hands and that I can most effectively await Your providence by bringing "their" needs and pain to You.  Cure my myopia, broaden my reach, expand my heart so that it is so full of care and compassion for others that I can faithfully lift them up.!!

Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment