Friday, February 8, 2013

Sorrow for sins OR afflictions? Yep!! 002

Afflictions are, for the believer, God's refining fire.  Period!  They are not punishment but rather one way He responds to our need to trust Him.

Our faith (trust) is refined in affliction and so they are a sure source of comfort and encouragement.  But they are hard and they can hurt and sorrowing in them is not inappropriate.  


And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? "My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him.   (Heb 12:5)

For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.   (Heb 12:11)


AND


Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.   (Rev 3:19-20)

The discipline and refining of affliction is not easy and we need to know that we may sorrow in it.  Yes, we need to be hopeful concerning its purpose and outcome but we may sorrow as well.

Our sorrowing though needs to be healthy and honest.  We are not required to enjoy it but rather engage it as a gift - those He loves, He disciplines.  Discipline is not punishment it is training and training is not easy.  But if we keep in sight the goal He has for it and us we will do better than if we do not.  

Admittedly, this is not easy.  For one, when we are undergoing the discipline it seems that God is far from us and our brothers and sisters even farther.  We feel alone, abandoned, and isolated.  This is such a sad circumstance.  Perhaps this is one of the failures of the Body in that, though many are willing to pray for you - few come and pray with you.  Though many may hug you, few are willing to hold you.

There is a thing called sympathetic pain.  That's when an injured part of the body produces pain in a near by yet undamaged part of the body.  Maybe this is what "the Body" is missing.  I know that I have been convicted of not hurting for a brother or sister as I believe the Lord would have me and so my prayers were just embarrassing.  I am seeking to learn to pray from a place where I at least appreciate their pain and lift it up along with their circumstances.

Sorrowing for affliction should not be immoderate.  I mean it should not consume us and keep us from our "duties," such as prayer, study, worship, etc....  Yes, it is hard to pray when you feel your hair is on fire.   But what do you do when you feel you've stepped off the edge of a cliff?  Maybe pray all the way down???

No, I'm not trivializing the pain and sorrow of affliction but neither do I want to let any of us be so consumed by our sorrow that we just curl up and weep endlessly or hopelessly.  Weep - yes.  Sorrow - yes.  Give up?  Never - even if you just move slowly, move!

Imagine yourself as Peter.

"Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, 
(Luk 22:31)

Do you really think that Peter is the only one?  I don't, I won't, I can't.  BUT I also know that Jesus says:

but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers."   (Luk 22:32)

Do you really think Jesus is not interceding for you as well?  I don't, I won't, I can't. 

Father, my affliction hurts - physically, emotionally and spiritually.  I am in pain and my sight is dimmed.  Sometimes I can't see You.  Sometimes I can't feel You.  Sometimes I fear You have left me.

But Father, I know You can not lie.  I know by Your Word - the very Words of Your Son my Savior that You will never ever leave me - and that nothing can snatch me from Your loving and mighty hand.

Yet I am weak and I am anxious and fretful and sorrowing.  Do not let me wallow in this but accept my sorrow and fretfulness and even my anxiety as part of my realization that I NEED THEE EVERY HOUR, in every circumstance.  AND that Your plans for me are for me to glorify YOU and to be a witness and evidence of Your grace and glory.

Father, it does not feel good but I know it has to BE good.  Father I would not have chosen it for myself but I need Your power and strength to accept Your choice of it for me.

Father - calm my heart, still my mind and draw my eyes to You.

Amen









No comments:

Post a Comment