Friday, February 7, 2014

"We" Prayers

I was praying this morning about some folks I'm involved with and was asking God to help me as I served them.  I was using a lot of "I(s)" and "me(s) which bothered me but I persisted in prayer.

Then I was praying for one paricular person and I said, "May we be a blessing......."

It may be a silly point - it may be trivial but that "we" got to me.  I think what got to me was how much I prayed that God would enable me to do this of that - or be this or that and I forgot that it has to be a "we."

It's not "I" who does anything.  It's He and I, emphasis on the He.  It was a shocker for me to realize how even in prayer my self-ish-ness, my self-focus comes into play.  I realized that I was asking Him to help "me" istead of asking Him to allow me to help Him,  serve Him.

I realized that in my corrupt and wandring heart I was using Him like somekind of a supply post where I went and got what i needed (or thought I needed) and then went on my merry way doing my thing - even though I did it for Him.

I came away from that time with a new perspective on my prayer and my service.  I don't want to serve Him but rather serve with HIm.  Maybe that's just a distinction He needed to make for me but it has been a good one.

Think about it - how often you pray "I" instead of "we."  How often you go to Him for provision and then wander off kind of without Him.  The Spirit is not in us for no purpose - so it's always gotta be a "we."

No comments:

Post a Comment