Monday, March 18, 2013

How and who?


Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also our comfort is abundant through Christ. But if we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; or if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which is effective in the patient enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer; and our hope for you is firmly grounded, knowing that as you are sharers of our sufferings, so also you are sharers of our comfort. (2Co 1:3-7)

I would ask, How are you comforted and whom do you comfort?

I ask because today I was comforted by a brother who need of comfort is very real and constant.

As a "leader-sheep" we all too often assume we are to be care givers and we forget that we are also care needers.  As we fulfill our calling to care for His sheep we all too often make the mistake of forgetting that we desperately need care as well.

When the Praetorian Guard was established in Rome one question predominated, "Who guards the guardians?"  This is no different from what we as comfort and care givers need to be asking of and for ourselves.

I have come to realize that it is all too easy to think that as a leader-sheep I need to be above the fray.  God has made it plan to me that this is a cruel deception and a very real danger.

Oh, I can feed myself but comforting myself  and doing it well is just not effective if it is even possible.  

I have found that I need others who from the comfort they have found in Him - pass that comfort on to me.  I have found that it is a type of pride to see myself as a giver only and not a needer.

Father,
I thank you for the comfort You sent today through my brother.  I thank you for the tears I shed in thanks and gratitude.  i thank you for the boldness of my brother's prayer the the depth to which it touched needs I has not seen.  
Father, keep this lesson in my ,mind and heart.  Keep me from isolation and pride.  Keep me open to the comfort You have for me from my brothers and sisters - AND enable me to be open and honest about my need and grateful for its being met.
Thank You for establishing Your people and for the comfort You provide from one to another.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment