Thursday, March 21, 2013

Intimate insights 001


BE ANGRY, AND yet DO NOT SIN; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and do not give the devil an opportunity.   (Eph 4:26-27)

The word translated "angry" carries the idea of being provoked - perhaps to wrath - perhaps not.

I've come to see that anger, usually, is a secondary emotion.  What I mean is that we are first afflicted with pain or fear and we respond with anger.  It makes sense.  When we are hurt or afraid we want to defend ourselves - so we are provoked.

Being provoked and it being common to become defensive (even offensively so) we will, unfortunately sin.  How do I know that?  Because the second word translated "anger" does carry the idea of, "the kind of severe or violent anger which arises from direct provocation, an aroused anger or seething exasperation." CWSB

We need to deal with the provocation - pain or fear as pain or fear.  Becoming bitter, though easily done, is not a option or response we want to allow to happen.

So we need to deal with that provocation (pain/fear) honestly and openly.  We need to bring it before the Lord for His providence, guidance, mercy and help.

I am learning - painfully :-}  that the devil will grab anything he can to encourage us not just to overt sin but to ignore the wonderful promises and providence of our God.  Nothing can please the devil more than for us to take matters into our own weak ande wayward hands.

That's what I'm learning.  The devil will use anything he can to lead us even a little way from our path.  He will use the fear of failure and the pain of loss and humiliation to get us to take hold of the reins and fight a fight we should never attempt to fight alone.

I am learning this - a dear brother prayed for me the other night and his prayer uncovered my pain and fear and the way the devil was using it to distract and render me weaker than I already was.  What a blessing when God brings His mercy though another - gently and in love.

We, Pat and I, have a hard road (at least it seems thus) and it is easy to be provoked and sin.  We pray often for His protection from the wiles of the devil and the baggage we've not yet surrendered.  We encourage you all to examine yourselves and see if you too are being provoked and let aside from the Way and His mercy and providence.

Father,
I fear too much from this world and hurt too much from things I haven't laid at Your feet.  Release me from those ties I still hold on to and protect me from the wiles and schemes of the evil one.  Help me (us) to trust You more and to come to You even obsessively for Your care and nurture especially in our fear and pain.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment