Friday, March 22, 2013

Intimate insights 002


For I know my transgressions, And my sin is ever before me. (Psa 51:3)

Too often I've read the whole passage (Psa. 51:2-4ff) and been blessed.  Tonight however I was caught off guard by a statement in a sermon I was listening to.  As soon as I heard the statement this verse came to mind.

With this verse came the realization that my sin is not ever before me - that I have paid poor attention to the faithfulness (of lack of it) in my walk with Him.  It was a visceral blow to suddenly recognize a sinful attitude I had had in the past and never even noticed.

No, I'm not suggesting we go rummaging through the past to discover past sins but rather that we may need to pray for a greater insight and sensitivity toward sin - in our own lives (we already do that with others).

Father, I don't want to be ignorant of my sins nor do I want to continue to generalize them thereby weakening significance in my life.  I ask you to make me mercifully aware of my sin so that although it is indeed ever before me - Your grace and mercy are there as well to lead me to repentance and restoration.  I am so prone to overlook or under regard my sin - it is so easy to do.  Help me Father to be aware and to address my sin in a way that is healthy for my growth and brings glory to You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment